Officer Moses Walker, Jr. Scholarship Fund
ACHIEVEabilty Announces the Creation of the Officer Moses Walker, Jr. Scholarship Fund. Thanks to the support of the scholarship fund, each year on October 28th (the birthday of Officer Walker) a participant in our program will be the recipient of the scholarship. The Walker Scholarship will benefit single-parent ACHIEVEability program participants whom are receiving at least a 3.0 GPA at an accredited trade school, Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree program and demonstrate a financial need.
The grant was directed to ACHIEVEability by Wayne Lipscomb, mother of Fallen Police Officer Moses, Jr. Walker. Officer Walker, who was shot and killed on August 18, 2012, was a big support for his mother, Wayne Lipscomb, who is a former ACHIEVEability participant and employee. Officer Walker volunteered on various occasions with tasks at the ACHIEVEability Computer Center.
Purpose of the scholarship:
To provide financial support to participants for education related expenses. The grant is to support students enrolled in an accredited program or trade school, and those completing internships.
- Must have G.P.A of 3.0 or above
- Must have financial need
- Must be in last year of school (exceptions may apply)
- Must be compliant with education requirements
- Enrollment opens October 4, 2012 and closes October 24, 2012
- Notification of awards will be announced on October 29, 2012
- Participant must submit application and supporting documentation: current budget
- Grant committee meets to discuss cases and asks for follow-up information
- Grant administrator, Ms. Wayne Lipscomb will discuss award determination with the Development Director, Director of Self Sufficiency and the coach
- If participant accepts award, tuition agreement will be created and submitted to Ms. Lipscomb, along with copy of requested fund disbursement
ACHIEVEability's academic coaches and dedicated volunteers, such as work study students from Saint Joseph's University and University of Pennsylvania, provide tutoring services for parents and their children. The personalized coaching includes assessing academic progress and providing supports to ensure the success of our families.
Assistance with Educational Financing
ACHIEVEability helps parents access scholarships and government financial assistance. In some cases, we assist them with tuition payments and book expenses.